As an early-stage start-up, Metacloud offers a unique opportunity for talented, passionate, and highly-creative engineers to have a wide-ranging impact on our organization’s products, operations, and services. As a member of our Operations team, you will be responsible for contributing both your systems expertise and coding skills to support the architecture, design, automation, deployment, and monitoring our OpenStack-based cloud solutions and services. In this role, you will also provide senior-level support to our critical clients.
In this multi-faceted role, the Senior Engineer, DevOps will be responsible for:
- Ensuring that our cloud solutions are fully-operational and performing optimally for our enterprise clients.
- Becoming an expert in the OpenStack open-source cloud platform and Metacloud’s enhancements to this platform.
- Acting as a senior team member, under the direction of the Vice President, Systems Operations, to provide subject matter expertise in systems automation, configuration management, and infrastructure optimization.
- Typical job functions would include:
- On-going operations in a large-scale, multi-cloud environment.
- Proactive system/network monitoring.
- Proactive system capacity planning.
- Deployment and task automation.
- Issue/Incidence response.
- Code-level analysis of issues including root cause determination and/or potential code fix.
- Peer-level customer support for low-level, highly-technical issue resolution.
- Participation in on-call rotation.
- You will be required to have fun, love what you do, and support a transparent and open work environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in CS... nice to have but... we’ll focus on what you know right now, what you have accomplished, where you shine, and how your current and future goals mesh with ours.
- 5-7 years of Linux administration and engineering experience including a deep understanding of the Linux networking stack at the kernel level.
- 2-4 years Python development experience or an equal level of level of proficiency in another programming language. For candidates that have experience with languages other than Python, we will ask you to:
- Provide code/script/recipe examples pertinent to infrastructure support.
- Be happy learning Python! OpenStack’s code-base is written in Python so becoming comfortable with Python is required.
- Extensive knowledge of modern virtualization technologies (KVM knowledge is a plus).
- Experience prior experience designing, monitoring, and supporting a large-scale, redundant, serving infrastructure (i.e., thousands of systems).
- Having led, or participated in, the implementation of at least one configuration management solution (Chef, Puppet, Salt Stack, etc.).
- Hands-on networking experience and a strong foundational knowledge of networking models including VLAN’s, routing, bridging, etc.
- Good communication skills and significant client support experience.
- Strong application, operating system, kernel, and hardware debugging skills.
- Experience with security-conscious design.
- Prior experience working in a start-up operation is strongly desired but not required. We need people who know how to work independently and make things happen.
- The ability to demonstrate a high degree of passion for your craft is a requirement. Our on-staff experts love what they do, are continuous learners, anxious to take on new challenges, and mindful of best practices to ensure optimal service.
What will you get?:
While other organizations provide cloud products and services, our “white glove” approach to building highly-scalable, fully supported and customized clouds for the enterprise is truly unique. In the infrastructure world, the cloud is simply inevitable so if you’re looking for a chance to join the cloud revolution, we want to hear from you. As an early stage startup, we can offer you a position where your professional growth is capped only by your effort, abilities, and our growth as an organization.